Thursday, April 30, 2009

Visions: Ready For Love?

A little preamble. For this song, Haifun sings the first half, and Juubi sings the second half, starting with the second verse. "boy" has been changed to "girl" in the second verse so it makes sense with Juubi singing it.

Lyrics:

You took a piece of my heart
I never thought that this could fall apart
You said you fell in love
And this was more than I had ever been afraid of

Another life, another happy ending
Cuts like a knife
Another place another time
Another hand to touch another sun to shine

You got me deeper than deep
and I'm constantly blinded
I'm running around
but there's no place to hide
I start to talk in my sleep
our souls are divided
Why can't they forgive me
these demons inside

Deeper than deep
and I'm constantly blinded
My heart starts to shiver
for it was not enough
I start to talk in my sleep
'cus our souls are divided
How can it be that you're ready for love?

Ready for love

...

How can it be that you're ready for love?

...

Time will tell
a single day could help me break this spell
Don't want to be alone
When will I be understood
when is my kingdom to come?

Another girl, another life
Another happy ending
and I'll be alive
Another place, another time
Another hand to touch, another sun to shine

You got me deeper than deep
and I'm constantly blinded
I'm running around
but there's no place to hide
I start to talk in my sleep
our souls are divided
Why can't they forgive me
these demons inside

Deeper than deep
and I'm constantly blinded
My heart starts to shiver
for it was not enough
I start to talk in my sleep
'cus our souls are divided
How can it be that you're ready for love?

...

How can it be that you're ready for love?

...

How can it be that you're ready for love?

-----------
This song didn't attach itself to any visions, but is really a general descriptor of the conditions of our Featherwing Lovers near the beginning of the story. Neither of them are ready for love.

Haifun, "more than I had ever been afraid of...cuts like a knife" ... Haifun's come to expect certain things from men, not only from her experience with her first husband, but with her father, who wasn't exactly the shining example of manlihood either. Initially, she's actually scared of Juubi, scared of what a relationship might bring. It's not like his stand-off-ish behaviour reassures her either...she's expecting him to snap eventually, and start doing nasty things to her, like every other man she's known (likely to include an employer or two, maybe a pastor; given my own experience, it is entirely appropriate that Haifun has never encountered a man who treated her well in her 26 years on Earth prior to meeting Juubi. This is why I had to deepen her relationship with one of the women, otherwise there are things about herself that she'd never say, that I need her to say, not only for the readers, but because she needs to deal with them.) Not only does she expect this from men, but a very strong part of her actually likes this ill treatment.

For the first chorus, she has nowhere to go, "no place to hide"; her childhood home is surrounded by crime scene tape, in the back seat of the police car she flings the clipboard she's filling out so hard that it cracks a window. For the second half of her chorus, she's in her beautiful blue "k-outfit" offering herself to Juubi, who literally runs scared from her ("for it was not enough"). She sits in bed, confused about it. Haifun grabs her dresser mirror by the edges. She's wearing a modest white blouse and beige pants, but her reflection in the mirror is in the k-outfit with ragged hair, she's asking it, "How can it be that you're ready for love?"

Juubi has always wanted to share his wings with a human, and from early on, wonders if Haifun could be the right human. But he finds out he's not ready for her. She stirs things in him that he never thought he'd lose control of, but they could lash out against her, against what could be the love of his life. Most featherwings lack faith in humans; they're too shallow to handle wings properly, several don't think he should stay with Haifun.

The chorus has him crying in his condo's utility room, Haifun standing dumbfounded outside the door in her k-outfit. They're living together because she has nowhere else to go, and he has nowhere within his small condo where he can go to escape from not only her, but the monsters inside himself who want to hurt her.

The second half of the chorus shows that he is flying, but his wings are disintegrating in flight, loose feathers are everywhere. He wakes up and bangs his head on a sink trap, breaking a cleanup plug and making a mess of himself. When he's asking himself in the mirror, his reflection is a stern-looking black eyed creature with ragged black wings, "How can it be that you're ready for love?"

No comments:

Post a Comment